Saturday, August 6, 2011

On The Ground In Wisconsin

I landed here in Green Bay yesterday morning, and will be here through the August 9th elections.  I've been keeping some notes to chronicle my experiences.  Here's what has happened thus far:

August 5th

4:00am - Sweet mother...it fells like I just went to sleep five minutes ago.  I quietly slip out of bed, trying not to wake up our 11 month old son.  My wife has threatened to kill me if he wakes up.

4:25am - I go out front to wait on my taxi cab, which thankfully doesn't take very long.

5:00am - I get to the airport, where I congratulate my TSA inspectors on their recent NLRB election to join AFGE.  They say they hope it will help improve working conditions. 

6:15am - I get to enjoy a 2 hour layover in the Detroit International Airport.  There is no WiFi, nothing open, but there is a Kubrick-inspired tunnel that makes you feel like you're an extra in The Shining.

9:00am - I finally touch down in Green Bay.  I pick up my car and head straight to the District 2 Offices in Kaukauna. 


11:00am - I meet a few guys from IUPAT(Painters) who have already been here for a few days.  We take a few packets and head out to Seymour to canvass some union households.

12:21pm - Hey, a buffalo farm!

1:04pm - Whoever said it would be cooler in Wisconsin is due for a kick in the ass when I return to West Virginia.

1:11pm - Decide to utilize the car for canvassing.  Oh heavenly a/c!

3:25pm - Return to office and call it quits for the day. They tell me that one of the local volunteers is throwing a cookout for the out of towners, and I decide to check it out.

6:30pm - Sweet baby Jesus in the manger, these are the best bratwursts I have ever eaten.

8:15pm - Headed back to the hotel.  I am completely drained.

August 6th

8:00am - Time to get ready for a fun-filled day of canvassing in District 2!

9:00am - Arrive at office

9:30am - Take my packet and head out to a local neighborhood.

9:37am - I notice a guy who looks like he might be dropping literature at the same houses I have on my list.  I decide to hide for a minute to find out what he's up to.

9:39am - This guy is from Operation Rescue out of Milwaukee.  Since he hasn't spotted me, I decide to tail him.  His literature is wedged in the cracks of the doors.  Unfortunately, when I put my literature there, it makes it too wide to keep both flyers, and one of the flyers falls out.  This coincides with a hefty breeze that takes the other flyer far, far away. 

11:35am - Arrive back at the office.  I sit for a few minutes and rest.  I then pick up another packet and decide to head back out.

12:04pm - Why did I decide to park in the 2800 block and walk all the way down the street canvassing to the 1400 block.  I can't even see the car now.

12:15pm - Finally arrive back at the car.  I am dripping sweat and look like I'm about to die.

3:00pm - I finish my packet after walking what feels like 5 miles.  I've had enough for today...

5:15pm - I decide to check out Lambeau Field.  It's a nice stadium, and the only non-profit NFL Team.  Lots of labor-friendly people here.

9:00pm - back at the hotel for the night.


More updates as things unfold.

In Solidarity,

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment